During COP27’s Biodiversity Day, the UK has pledged a number of efforts to help lower global temperatures, protect nature and biodiversity, and build a sustainable future.
Their pledges include:
- £30 million will be placed into seed finance within the Big Nature Impact Fund, a new public-private fund for nature in the UK
- £12 million will be placed into the Ocean Risk and Resilience Action Alliance, the money will be used to protect vulnerable coastal communities and habitats
- £6 million will be used to provide capacity building support to developing countries to increase nature-based solutions.
- £5 million will be placed in the Inter-American Development Bank’s (IDB) Multi-Donor Trust Fund for the Amazon
- Awareness will be raised for the use of mangroves and how they are useful in coastal resilience
- The UK will highlight the importance of blue carbon and they will support the new Global Ocean Decade Programme for Blue Carbon (GO-BC)